When I asked the girls how they were feeling by this stage, excited came in a sure first however was closely followed by nervous and apprehensive.
For some, (like myself) this is the first time leaving our safe and homely shores and when I consider my main concerns about the trip, the following thoughts arise:
- Being without mum! She's always the first person i go to, when I need to talk. (But then i feel comforted when i remember that I'll be heading off with "The FIsh" - most motherly teacher at MSCW).
- Being overwhelmed by the effects of what we encounter. I suppose I'm a bit scared that the experience is going to be too bigger shock to the system.
- Tarantula! (Apparently it's a Cambodian delicacy - yum yum!)
- Attachment. Establishing bonds with the kids in the schools and orphanage that I really don't want to break!
- The heat! I can tolerate a great array of uncomfortable situations, however unbearable heat has a strange effect on me...I turn into dragon woman
I suppose if i were to sum all that up in general terms, it all comes down to a slight fear of the unknown. But, I think that is also the greatest offering of this experience; being taken out of our world of comforts (T.V, iPods, hair straighteners, Facebook, comfy mattresses etc) and re-emerging in a world so different, that when we return perhaps we will have developed a new perspective on our "comfortable" life.
The packing experience has been...well I'm just glad it's pretty much over now. I made a last minute visit to Chatswood yesterday to get the remainder of the things I needed. Everything ran quite smoothly but I am still without any American dollars...the exchange centre had run out. I am hoping to tackle that issue today. I also have to make mention of the soap that all the girls hopefully now have packed away safely in their bags. It is scentless and made by Fisher - to protect us against the mozzies! See, she really is the best substitute mum we could ask for!
So the preparation stage is now pretty much complete! The vaccinations are all done, everyone is equipped with travel insurance, everyone has started the malaria tablets (Bridget is enjoying her wacky and wonderful dreams), and bags are packed!
For the year 11 girls heading off tomorrow, fronting up at the airport at 5am should be interesting. It is our school social tonight and that finishes up at about midnight. BUT i promise that as soon as it is over, everybody is coming straight home! No after partying for this mob! (Georgia, you're an exception)
So everybody, here we go!
Goodbye, Fare thee well, and of course, choum reap lia! (I'm not sure if i spelt that right. I can spell the language as well as i can speak it :S)
Charlotte
Charlotte
No comments:
Post a Comment